So after the last few days in Vegas, it’s time to come back down to earth and start eating good again. Vegas is just so decadent. I’m so incredibly happy that a lot of my meals were split with someone else. And with the holidays coming up I need to make sure that I save my cheat days.
So I know mac and cheese doesn’t sound like a low calorie meal, but it totally can be. I found the recipe in the magazine, Eat Well Lose Weight. It’s part of the Better Homes and Gardens line of magazines. I altered the recipe because loaded it with veggies and didn’t read the ingredients very well, as per usual. It called for 1.5 c. of uncooked multigrain elbow macaroni, but I threw in the box, which has to be nearly twice that or more. So my bad, but luckily I had extra cheddar cheese on hand and added a little bit more milk and it seemed to work out well.
This recipe says it is about 369 calories per serving (which makes 5 servings when done actually correctly). But I think that it basically evened out because of how much macaroni and cheese I put in. So it should be about the same give or take. But honestly this is delicious and would totally eat this again. Maybe regularly.
1.5 centire box of dried multigrain elbow macaroni
- Olive Oil
- 2 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- 6.5 oz semisoft garlic and herb cheese
12 Tbsp flour 1 2/32 c. fat free milk 3/41.5 c. reduced fat cheddar
- 2-3 c. baby spinach
1 c. cherry tomatoes, squared
- 1 c. broccoli florets
- .5-1 c. peas
- 3/4 c. Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- .5 tsp garlic powder
- .5 tsp onion powder
- .5-.75 tsp Italian Spice
- In medium pan cook macaroni according to directions
- Coat large pot with olive oil, add chicken and onion to hot pot. Cook until no longer pink and onion is tender. Add semisoft cheese and stir until melted.
- Whisk together milk and flour well in separate bowl.
- Add to chicken mixture, along with broccoli and peas. Cook until mixture thickens.
- Reduce heat to low, add cheddar until melted.
- Then add macaroni and cook and stir until fully combined and heated through.
- Top with cherry tomatoes if you must.
- In separate small pan, combine 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, breadcrumbs, and spices until it browns. Then sprinkle over the top of macaroni and cheese.