I have finally done it! I have finally eaten a Sprinkles cupcake. Actually I ate about 6. A bite from each.
The store front was simple and clean. Sprinkles written in cursive across the front. Located in Beverly Hills, an hour or so drive from where I’m staying with Sashi. Next door was Menchi’s (a frozen yogurt place we have back home)! Surprise, surprise.
The first thing you see when you enter the door is all of their cupcakes. Actually, from what I’ve read and heard the first thing you really see is the never ending line. But luckily we got there at a time when there was no line. They were just finishing up a customer when I walked in then they proceeded to help me. I was planning on getting 5 cupcakes but the box was for 6…so you know.
The staff was very friendly and helpful as they assisted me in choosing my 6 cupcakes. Red Velvet is their best seller followed up by the Black and White and the Chocolate Marshmallow. Each cupcake has a sort of dot made of sugar to tell them apart.
I ended up getting the Irish Cream, Red Velvet, Black and white, Banana Dark Chocolate, Dark Chocolate Marshmallow and a regular Dark Chocolate.
All the cakes had great consistency. The frosting was soft and sweet, almost a little bit too rich but overall it was a great cupcake.
- The Irish Cream had Bailey’s frosting on top of a chocolate cupcake. I don’t know the taste of Baileys so I have no idea whether they did it right.
- The Red Velvet was a flavorful red velvet cupcake, the frosting did not taste overwhelmingly like cream cheese, which means they did it right. It was very sweet but not too sweet.
- The Black and White was basically a black and white cookie. It had a chocolate cupcake with a white frosting. The frosting was good but I was trying to give it a flavor and the only word I could come up with was “white.” Take that for what it’s worth.
- The Banana Dark Chocolate Cupcake was great. It’s hard to find a cupcake that does a banana cupcake right. It either turns out like banana bread or a banana muffin. This was made just so. It wasn’t sticky and it wasn’t overpowered by the frosting.
- The Marshmallow Dark Chocolate I ended up taking more than one bite of this one to find the marshmallow. I could not taste it. It was a dark chocolate frosting and cupcake with some marshmallow creme in the center. The cupcake and frosting overpowered the marshmallow, it really needs more of it or something to make it pop.
- After all of that I had the regular dark chocolate cupcake. It was good but tame after all the flavors I had assault my taste buds. It was in no way a disappointment but a classic. Rich rich chocolatey goodness.
Sashi asked me if they met or exceeded my expectations. I said that it met them. Keep in mind they had an extremely tall order to fill so exceeding them would have really been a feat.
Overall they lived up to their name. Sprinkles is currently expanding. One just opened in Washington DC, down the street from DC cupcakes. Whoo boy, that’s competition. On their website, you can vote for their new location. There have been rumors about one coming to Boston but none of that has been confirmed yet. Most of their current shops are on the West coast, the exceptions being Texas and New York. It has been considered the first cupcake shop in America and is now taking over America. Long lines, great cupcakes, Coming to a location near you…hopefully.